The XML Cover Page
- Web Services Calendar (WS-Calendar) TC to Create Common Scheduling Standard - OASIS announced a new Web Services Calendar (WS-Calendar) TC, chartered to adapt existing calendaring and scheduling specifications to develop a Common Scheduling standard that defines how schedule, event, and interval information is passed between/within services. Beginning with the 'iCalendar XML Representation' standard from CalConnect/IETF, the TC will create a specification for creating, retrieving, updating, and deleting calendar events on a schedule.
- OASIS Public Review: Content Management Interoperability Services (CMIS) v1.0 - The OASIS Content Management Interoperability Services (CMIS) TC approved a Committee Draft of the CMIS Version 1.0 specification for public review through December 22, 2009. CMIS defines a domain model along with Web Services and Restful AtomPub bindings that can be used by applications to work with different content management repositories/systems. CMIS defines generic/universal CMS capabilities, and the interface is layered on top of existing CM systems.
- Apache Software Foundation Launches Chemistry Incubation Effort for CMIS - The Apache Software Foundation (ASF) announced a new Incubator project to support the OASIS Content Management Interoperability Services (CMIS) specification. The Apache Chemistry Incubation development effort will implement the latest draft of the CMIS specification and provide input to the TC on the implementation details. It is also anticipated that the group will produce a CMIS Reference Implementation (RI) and a CMIS Technology Compatibility Kit (TCK).
- W3C XML Security Working Group Invites Public Review of New Working Drafts - The W3C XML Security Working Group has published eight (First Public) Working Drafts for review, including "XML Signature 1.1" and "XML Encryption 1.1". Members of the WG would appreciate feedback on these documents, with special attention to the algorithms and other proposed changes. In parallel with this v1.1 technical work, the XML Security Working Group is developing requirements and designs for a more radically different version 2 of XML Signature.
- Open Virtualization Format (OVF) Version 1.0 Published as a DMTF Standard - Distributed Management Task Force has published "Open Virtualization Format Specification v1.0 as a DMTF Standard. OVF describes an open, secure, portable, and extensible format for packaging and distribution of software to be run in virtual machines. OVF uses XML for capturing metadata about virtual appliances. Packaging virtual appliances in OVF independent software allows vendors to create pre-packaged appliances that run on any virtualization platform.
- Charter Proposed for OASIS Emergency Management Adoption Technical Committee - OASIS members have published a Proposed Charter for creation of a new TC to support adoption of emergency management specifications. The OASIS Emergency Management (EM) Adoption Technical Committee draft charter identifies the goal as collaboration to provide expertise and resources to educate the marketplace on the value of the Emergency Management OASIS Standards, including the Common Alerting Protocol (CAP) and Emergency Data Exchange Language (EDXL).
- OASIS Members Form Key Management Interoperability Protocol (KMIP) Committee - Brocade, EMC/RSA, HP, IBM, LSI, NetApp, Seagate, and Thales submitted a charter proposal for an OASIS Key Management Interoperability Protocol (KMIP) TC, based upon draft specifications. The TC will standardize KMIP for interoperability of key management services with key management clients. KMIP addresses requirements for key lifecycle management, key sharing, and long-term availability of cryptographic objects (public/private keys, certs, symmetric keys).
- Oracle Beehive Object Model Proposed for Standardization in OASIS ICOM TC - OASIS published a charter for a proposed TC to define an integrated collaboration object model supporting a complete range of enterprise collaboration activities. The ICOM data model is based upon the Oracle Beehive Object Model. The new standard model, interface, and protocol supports contextual collaboration within business processes for an integrated collaboration environment which includes communication, teamwork, content, and coordination artifacts.
- Microsoft Publishes Implementation Notes for File Formats in Office 2007 SP2 - Microsoft announced the publication of an initial set of document-format implementation notes for the company's ODF 1.1 implementation in Office 2007 SP2. The Document Interoperability Initiative (DII) Web site provides hypertext access to the detailed notes, linked from the online ODF specification, covering implementation decisions, additional file data, and implementation variances. Similar implementation notes will be published for Open XML (ECMA 376).
- Web Services Test Forum (WSTF) Addresses End User Interoperability Scenarios - Industry partners have announced the Web Services Test Forum (WSTF), designed as a open community to improve the quality of the Web services standards through interoperability testing. The Forum provides a customer-centric focus driven by end user testing scenarios. WSTF has a lightweight structure: no Board, no centralized authority, no dues, few barriers to participation, and no allowance for IPR encumbrances. Individuals and corporate entities may join.
Go to the XML Cover Pages